This was my first attempt at baking biscuits from scratch. I used hard red wheat I milled with my Sunshine Nugget mill
As I said I am not a baker. We’ve made bread with a bread machine but I want to learn to do it from scratch. I figured before I tackled bread biscuits were an easier project.
I used a simple recipe I found on the web ( Super Easy Whole Wheat Biscuits ).
Here are the ingredients :
- 2 cups whole wheat flour ( I used the hand ground Hard Red Wheat I ground)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk (any kind)
Instructions as I did it :
- In a medium-sized bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well with whisk or fork.
- Cut the ½ stick butter into little pea sized pieces and then mix the pieces into the flour mixture. I used the zester but a grater would be a better choice
- Using a fork, try to mash the butter pieces as you mix it together with the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. It is okay if the outcome just looks like the same pea sized pieces of butter covered with flour. I used a whisk (not a great idea) then my hands.
- Then pour in the milk and mix it all together. Knead the dough
- Create dollops of dough and then put them on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes or until lightly browned.