This week we finished up the ceiling at the guest cabin. This is the final major project on the guest cabin. There are always other projects but now we can start moving equipment and tools out.
Its funny when you remove a tool from someplace something else always takes it place. So the second half of the day we started cleaning out one of the sheds. We build a new work bench so we can store things under it. Next week we plan to build 20 feet of shelving. After that, and throwing away junk, we should have enough space to clean out the guest cabin.
Once I have the guest cabin cleaned out I plan to do an overview / completed video. For anyone who has been watching since the beginning it will be a little redundant. I hope to use it to attract new subscribers (who can then watch the whole series start to finish )
We finally got back to work on the guest cabin. The loft ceiling is about half way installed. This is the last major task to be done.
Behind the scenes we have been doing a couple of small jobs getting ready. We shiplapped all the boards and applied poly to most of them.
The boards were purchased from a local Amish sawmill last year and allowed to dry over winter. We had them custom mill them 1/2 inch thick as we were concerned about weight. This cabin is not set in the ground but floats on 4×4 posts set on pre-cast concrete elephants feet.
Today we framed in the knee-wall with some left over 1×4 stock we had. This wall not being structural we didn’t want to waste 2x4s.
We left access to the area behind the wall on both ends for storage.
After that we installed the shiplapped boards. hopefully in a week we will be done. Then we just have to clean the cabin out and its ready for use…
This week at the cabin we installed fascia at the guest cabin, did a little shooting with an older J.C. Higgins Model 20 and assembled and tested a Butterfly Model A-822 kerosene stove. Continue reading »