5-26-2008

This week we where not able to get as much done do to a death in the family. We went down on Saturday for a huge Amish auction with my Dad, Father-in-law and Brother-in-law. The hold this every year about 3/4 of a mile from our place. Everyone had a great time and next year want to have more family come down for it.

So this week I went down today and finished up three walls of t&g. There are also other chores that needed doing. The lawn was getting knee high. So while I finished up the t&g my Father-In-Law mowed the field.

This week we will need to pick up some more t&g for the rear wall, insulate the loft over the porch and the end walls, run the second floor electric. Might take another week to get all that done :)

[galleryview=id:9;]

5-22-2008

I did not get pictures last week but here is where we are….

I have stairs… now more stepping on logs to get in and out…. simply amazing.

also accomplished this week : The batons we installed on the upper front where they were missing, Second floor decking is down, one missing floor joist is in, lower pine t&g is in all the way around the first floor, upper t&g is on one wall. We would have finished more but our small generator seems to be having issues….

[galleryview=id:8;]

5-13-2008

We went out yesterday after having delivered 1300 board feet of pine T & G for the first floor walls, foam board and insulation earlier in the week. This trip we completed the first floor electrical and ran the feed for the second, installed the foam board and insulation and three additional windows that were not part of the original plan. We were hoping to get the pine on the wall but installing the windows took a little while longer then we thought.

[galleryview=id:7;]

5-2-2008

It was kinda a crappy rainy day… So we did most of the first floor electric. I stopped in and picked up the insulation for the first floor. Also we brought the wood stove we got on craigslist. It was a bit rusty but with a little high temp rustoleum looks great… we had another but it was cast iron and soap stone and I was worried that going from sub-freezing to a fire in the winter could cause problems. Below are some photos of the internal framing and the new stove.

[galleryview=id:6;]

4-25-2008

Went down today to stain the front porch, take down the tarps, deal with some mold and to clean up some trees.

The decking of the front porch is made larch which darkens with time when not protected. We enclosed the porch for the winter in tarps to help. We also had lots of marks that were created during the construction. So we sanded the deck down and stained it. doesn’t look half bad :)

We also had some mold on some of the rafter gussets. We applied some bleach mixed mold remover which cleared it right up. There are some other areas that have the same mold, which I am thinking came from the green wood putting alot of humidity in the air, that will need a scrub brush so I will tackle those next week.

We also had a couple of trees that had to be removed. One cluster because it was going to cause shading on my solar panels. We had a couple near by that had winter damage and those were also removed.

Next week we will finish removing mold and start the wiring plus the hundred other things that need doing

[galleryview=id:5;]

Our Off the Grid Cabin, Projects and what ever else I feel like putting here